Monday, May 9, 2011

Every Girl Want's a Man With a Farmer Tan

Well it has been a while so I figured it is about time I put in another post.  What good is a blog if I don't actually use it?



Last Saturday was the first Saturday of the year that was nice and sunny and in my family that can only mean.... WORK!  I got up and the first thing I did was put on some jeans and a t-shirt, laced up my boots went outside and got on the lawnower.  Our house sits on 2.5 acres of land so we have quite a bit to take care of.  The back half acre or so is where we used to have our horses but now it was basically just weeds.  In the last couple of years we have been getting manure from our neighbors horses and have been spreading it back there so this Saturday my dad rented a roto-tiller to prepare the soil for a huge garden.  I was mowing down the huge weeds and my dad would come behind tilling it.  I know I may be weird but I like mowing the lawn and doing work outside so this was great!

When mowing was done a couple of my brothers and I started digging out the grass and weeds that had grown in a pit we dug out to put in a playset and sand.  This dirt was ridiculously hard!  I would jump on the shovel and it would barely go in two inches in some places.  We finally got it all cleared out and my dad brought the roto- tiller over to loosen up the dirt so we could level it out.  After this was accomplished we had a break for lunch.  Hallelujah and Amen!  Lunch of course was my mom's homemade bread with the homemade strawberry freezer jam she had made a few days before.  The best lunch you could ever have.

The rest of the day was then spent going back to the back part of our yard with the manure and digging trenches for watering the plants we were going to plant there. If you have ever been a landscaper, put in sprinklers or have just done some digging you know what trenching takes out of you. Like I said I actually do enjoy digging and working but this is where I started to feel like I was losing my drive.  When that happens I get into this rythm of working so hard I forget to think and it was very good to hear my dad say we had done enough and it was time to get ready for Marshall's birthday. 

Today I have the beginnings of a farmer tan and sore shoulders to remind me of the work we did.  It was a great day!  We got to work hard as a family, prepare a garden, we got to be outside all day long and had a great dinner and chocolate malt's, my favorite dessert, for Marshall's birthday.  One of the best feeling in the world is being worn out knowing you had put in good hard work and improved some one's life.  This time it was for my mom and dad and it feels good.

No comments:

Post a Comment