Saturday, March 2, 2013

The day I met Fei (Phil).

Here is my account of meeting Fei:

A while back I was leaving work and walking to my car, this kind of thing does happen often. On my way across the parking lot I ran into a guy from Hunan, China. Initially we just waved at each other, which is not something that happens often. As I was getting into my car I realized he was trying to take a picture of himself with Y mountain in the background. Realizing how impossible that feat would be for me I offered to take the picture for him, he gratefully accepted. Which was the beginning of a half hour conversation

Here is what I found out about this guy:

He was 23 years old looking to come to BYU to study Psychology. Since BYU is not really well known for their Psychology department it was kind of surprising to me he came all the way from China to just take a look. Even more surprising was he said he did not really have any family or friends in Utah. It made a little more sense though when he told me he had just recently been baptized into the LDS church. Then much later in the conversation he said that he had actually gone to some college in San Diego.

What was really interesting to me was that almost everyone in his city of Hunan know and love BYU. I guess there were a couple of BYU performing groups that went there through the years. Apparently Hunan is a big film and broadcast hub in China so Fei (Phil) believed BYU chose to go there to be able to broadcast to the rest of the country. I don't know if this was really the case for BYU's choice to perform there because there are a lot of different factors that go into where and when a performing group tours. It is kind of cool that BYU was able to become known in China

One last thing.... he said his goal was to see a live BYU sporting event and a performance. If you ever see this Fei I really hope you got to fulfill your goal!

There really are some interesting people to meet around campus.

1 comment: